The Fall River Women’s Union
A charitable foundation Serving Women and Children
On October 30, 1873 a group of civic minded women met to consider ideas to benefit the women and girls of Fall River.
The Fall River Women’s Union has sustained its position as a social service organization for over a century, remaining true to its mission of helping better the lives of women and children.
The Fall River Women’s Union held their first business meeting on December 15, 1873. The catalyst for this meeting was a lecture delivered on October 30,1873 by Miss Jennie Collins, a Boston social worker active in Boffin’s Bower.
The first meeting found the ladies in Room 18 of the Troy Building; planning enrichment and education for the working women of Fall River and their daughters. The goals to provide a place where women would find assistance, advice, amusement and support were mapped out.
The officers elected were:
- President, Mrs Abram G. Hart
- Vice Presidents, Mrs. Robert Adams, Mrs. James M. Aldrich and Mrs. Stephen C. Wrightington
- Secretary, Miss Minnie B. Slade
- Treasurer, Mrs. William B. Durfee
Women’s Union Present Officers (2021)
To request funding:
- Spring funding requests must be received by April 15th
- Fall funding requests must be received by August 31st
- Click HERE for the Guidelines and Application Form in Word format
- Click HERE for the Guidelines and Application Form in PDF format
PLEASE NOTE: Our application has been updated for electronic submission. Contact Bonnie Mendes at grants@FRWU.org or call the office at 508-674-8861 if you have questions.